Burnley full-back Kieran Trippier has signed a new three-year contract at Turf Moor, the Barclays Premier League new boys have announced. Trippier, 24, made 46 appearances in all competitions last season as the Clarets earned promotion to the top flight as runners-up to Leicester in the Sky Bet Championship. The former England Under-21 international, who came through the ranks at Manchester City before joining Burnley on permanent terms two and a half years ago, is now under contract until 2017. “Kieran Trippier has committed his future to Burnley Football Club by agreeing to sign a new three-year contract,” a club statement confirmed. “The Clarets right-back, who had one-year existing on his current deal, had been in talks since the end of the season over extending his Turf Moor stay. And having agreed a new deal, subject to FA and Football League approval, the 24-year-old will now remain with the Clarets until the summer of 2017.” Press Association
Although the Wisconsin men’s soccer team seemed to outplay Ohio State Saturday, the scoreboard would not indicate the same as the Buckeyes escaped McClimon Complex with a 2-0 win.Despite Wisconsin (2-9-2, 0-5-0 Big Ten) controlling much of the game against OSU (5-5-3, 3-2-0), the Badgers came out of the match still searching for their first Big Ten win for the year as their winless streak stretched to three games.In the 25th minute of the first half, the Badgers thought they had broken through when forward Tom Barlow scored on a breakaway, but the goal called back after Barlow was called for offsides. Ten minutes later, Ohio State broke the tie when forward Christian Soldat headed in a cross from freshman forward Marcus McCrary to give the Buckeyes a 1-0 lead, which held up going into halftime.“[McCrary] sent in a good cross. Adam [Lauko] had good position on the guy who was right behind and the guy just flicked it, perfect flick over the keeper,” Badger midfielder Drew Conner said. “It was just a really lucky goal.”After getting off to a slow start, the Badgers’ attack really started to pick up in the second half, recording nine of their 12 shots on goal.According to UW freshman forward Mark Segbers, the Badgers found more success creating opportunities by adjusting their game plan to stretch out Ohio State’s 4-5-1 formation.“I think we were trying to jam it down the middle too much and that’s where most of their numbers were,” Segbers said. “It took us a little while to figure that out. The main goal was to try to get it out wide and get a good cross in whether it was on the ground or in the air.”Despite the flurry of scoring chances for Wisconsin in the second half, the Badgers were not able to put any of them in the back of the net. The score would stay 1-0 until the last minute of the game when McCrary sealed the victory for Ohio State by scoring on a breakaway as Wisconsin’s defenders were pushed up in an all-out effort to tie the game.“We had a lot of action in their box and sometimes it falls for you, sometimes it doesn’t,” Wisconsin head coach John Trask said. “It seemed like we were going to get something with what we were doing out there in the second half.”According to Trask, coming up short despite outplaying an opponent is just an unfortunate part of the game sometimes.“Soccer, as I’ve said before, can be a cruel game just because you dominate territory or dominate possession, but at the end of the day, it’s about putting the ball in the goal, which isn’t always an easy thing to do,” Trask said.In addition to not converting their chances, the Badgers’ lack of physicality due to their youth is what held them back in Saturday’s match, according to Trask.“I would say they were bigger than us in terms of size, but [Ohio State] was bigger physically,” he said. “It’s noticeable that they were a little bit older in some spots of the field.”While disappointed by not getting the win, Trask was still encouraged by how his team played Saturday night.“I was pleased with the effort. We played midweek, they didn’t. I thought we had a good energy,” Trask said. “I thought we played pretty good other than the one bang-bang goal that they got.”Trask went on to praise the play of junior midfielder Drew Conner and freshman midfielder Mike Catalano, who each recorded two shots on goal for the Badgers.“Both Mike and Drew won a lot of balls, won a lot of air-balls, which is important in a Big Ten game, but I also thought [they] played some very good soccer, moved the ball quickly through the middle of the field, either side-to-side or up and back,” Trask said of his central midfielders. “I really like what those two guys are doing.”While Wisconsin is still searching for its first Big Ten win, Conner was confident that better results will start to come as the Badgers continue to build on their quality effort against Ohio State.“We know we’re close,” Conner said. “We know we’re not far off. I don’t think our record represents this team very well at all.”Trask echoed Conner’s sentiment and was adamant that his team has what it takes to reach its full potential. But with so many young players, that could take time.“I know there’s really good things in the future for this group because they’re not going to bail and I know they’re going to work their butts off in the offseason,” Trask said.
SPORTING LISBON are reportedly set to offer Bruno Fernandes a new deal – despite still being open to selling him in the January transfer window.The 25-year-old was chased by the likes of Manchester United, Tottenham and Real Madrid in the summer, though a move away from Portugal failed to materialise.1 Portuguese international Bruno Fernandes could be handed a new deal by Sporting LisbonCredit: Getty – ContributorAccording to A Bola, Sporting are set to meet with the attacking midfielder over the weekend to discuss a new contract.They claim that the Primeira Liga side are ready to offer him up to £1.8million-a-year – still short of the £3.1m Spurs were willing to pay him.The report goes on to state that Sporting are still considering selling the player once the market reopens in the New Year.But any club wishing to sign him must fork out £63million.The Manchester Evening News claims that the Red Devils will be allowed to sign a midfielder in January, with funds to be made available for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.Though Spurs remain the most likely to nab him after agreeing a deal to bring him to England last month, only for Sporting to block the move.Speaking of his failed transfer, Fernandes told GQ Portugal: “As you all know, Tottenham made a lot of proposals for me. Everything was right with me – or practically should be.LATEST MAN UTD NEWSLive Blogunited newsMan Utd news LIVE – Latest updates from Old TraffordMAN DOWNUtd and City face TWO-WEEK summer if they reach Euro finals before new Prem seasonDEPAY CHARTMan Utd flop Memphis used computer data and analytics to quit Old TraffordODS ON?Ighalo to leave Man Utd TOMORROW unless dramatic extension can be reachedPEA SHOOTERHernandez: Man Utd ‘still haunted’ by ‘mistake’ of Moyes replacing FergusonDEVIL’S ADVOCATEEx-Man Utd star Chadwick dreaded being picked for Keane’s team in training”I never made any big demands, my manager was always dealing with the financials.”It was and is my goal to play in England, Sporting you know that, everyone knows that, and there were conditions for things to be done.”But Sporting understood that the value was not enough and I have to respect the decision.”Man Utd transfer target Bruno Fernandes’ outrageous skill to leave opponent for dead in Sporting’s 1-1 draw against Martimo