HMAS GASCOYNE (LEFT) CONDUCTS MANOEUVRES WITH ROKS WON SANRepublic of Korea Ship (ROKS) Won San has rolled out the red carpet for Royal Australian Navy sailors during the Western Pacific Naval Symposium (WPNS) Mine Counter Measures and Diving Exercise 2014 (MCMEX 14) in New Zealand. GALLERY: Australian Sailors Spend a Night onboard Korean Minelayer Back to overview,Home naval-today GALLERY: Australian Sailors Spend a Night onboard Korean Minelayer View post tag: Minelayer Training & Education View post tag: Australian View post tag: Night Members of the Australian MCM Diving Detachment, drawn from HMAS Diamantina and Clearance Dive Team One, and a Royal New Zealand Navy (RNZN) Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) team, spent a night onboard minelayer Won San during the final week of the exercise.The teams were on mission to recover a body lost at sea – a realistic scenario in the exercise’s fictitious earthquake and tsunami ravaged Barclay Islands.The sailors were given a reception normally reserved for conquering heroes, with delicious traditional Korean food laid out and plenty of new friends made.Leading Seaman (LS) Medic (Underwater) Ben Catterall said the overnight stay was one of his highlights for the exercise.“Their generosity was amazing and they treated us like royalty,” said LS Catterall.In between the hospitality and cultural exchanges, the RNZN AUV team succeeded in discovering the body, before the Australian Divers jumped in to investigate.Earlier in the exercise, HMAS Gascoyne rafted up to Won San for an afternoon of sport and cultural exchange.The three week MCMEX 14 involves over 600 participants from 14 nations, as well as five Naval Vessels from New Zealand, Australia and Korea.[mappress]Press Release, March 10, 2014, Image: Australian Navy View post tag: Defense View post tag: Korean View post tag: Defence View post tag: Navy Share this article March 10, 2014 View post tag: sailors View post tag: News by topic View post tag: Naval
Daily Trojan file photoHead baseball coach Dan Hubbs’ contract will not be renewed after it expires at the end of June, Athletic Director Lynn Swann announced Wednesday.The decision to terminate Hubbs’ contract comes on the heels of a 25-29-1 season for the Trojans. Despite having won 12 national championships in its storied history, USC missed the postseason for the fourth consecutive year and has not had a winning season since 2015.“I am grateful for all the opportunities I have had here the last seven years,” Hubbs said in a statement.In 2015, the Trojans went 39-21 and were eliminated in the regional round of the postseason by eventual champion Virginia. But the following season, USC finished at an even 28-28, despite a roster packed with 12 players selected for the 2016 MLB Draft. USC hasn’t been able to fix its path since, finishing with a losing record in the last three seasons. “We have a very successful and proud baseball tradition at USC,” Swann said in a statement. “We now look forward to the next chapter of USC baseball under new leadership.”Swann said that the search for Hubbs’ successor will begin immediately. In 2013, Hubbs was promoted from associate head coach to head coach of the Trojans squad and has been at the helm since. He served in the role for seven years, compiling a losing 188-200-1 overall record and finishing in the top four of the Pac-12 standings twice. “We want to thank [Hubbs] for his effort and service,” Swann said. “[Hubbs] is a good man and a good coach, and he always will be a great Trojan. However, we felt that after seven years under [Hubbs], our program needed new leadership and direction.” Hubbs played for USC as a student. He pitched for the Trojans from 1991 to 1993, amassing a 19-13 record as a pitcher in 81 appearances. Hubbs ranks fourth on the all-time Trojans saves list and played seven years in the minor leagues with the Los Angeles Dodgers and Philadelphia Phillies organizations. “Seeing my players’ success on the field, in the classroom and in their own lives after they left USC was always my greatest reward,” Hubbs said. “I look forward to watching their continued success as I remain part of the Trojan Family.”Hubbs’ release boiled down to a lack of results on the field for the Trojans over the last few years, especially in 2019. This year, USC’s offense ranked No. 201 in the country in runs scored, featuring just one batter (junior outfielder Matthew Acosta) with a batting average above .300. The pitching staff also put together an underwhelming 4.63 ERA on the season. The Trojans showed flashes of promise this season, picking up impressive wins over Arkansas, UCLA, Stanford and Oregon State but failed to sustain success over the long run.USC has won twice as many national championships as any other Division I program but has not reached the College World Series since 2001 and hasn’t hoisted the trophy since 1998. Swann will try to bring the Trojans back to their winning ways, hoping that the next head coach will be the one to turn the tide for USC.Article updated on June 4 at 9:00 p.m.
Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end Cameron Heyward (97) fends off Cleveland Browns wide receiver Greg Little after a fumble recovery in the fourth quarter of an NFL football game on Sunday, Nov. 24, 2013. (AP Photo/David Richard)PITTSBURGH (AP) – The Pittsburgh Steelers have picked up the 2015 option on defensive end Cam Heyward.The decision, announced Tuesday, means Heyward will have to wait two more years before becoming a free agent. Heyward is coming off a breakout season in which he finished with a career-high five sacks while making 13 starts.The 31st overall selection in the 2011 NFL Draft is considered a cornerstone of Pittsburgh’s 3-4 defense going forward. The team let Ziggy Hood walk in free agency and has not re-signed veteran Brett Keisel.