8SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr CUNA, along with trade associations representing nearly every community financial institution in America, wrote Senate leadership Monday to support repeal of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s (CFPB) arbitration rule. The House passed its resolution to repeal the rule in July.“For community financial institutions, loss of arbitration as a viable option would fuel continued industry consolidation, larger institutions, fewer communities without a dedicated institution and, ultimately, reduced consumer choice,” the letter reads.The CFPB’s rule would restrict the use of arbitration clauses. It also requires companies to submit to the CFPB certain records about claims, counterclaims and awards issued in arbitration.The letter goes on to say that the bureau failed to heed the findings of its own report on arbitration, which suggested it offers a better process and outcome for consumers, relative to class action lawsuits. continue reading »
Virtual tellers are serving members with a smile, be it via stand-alone machines or handheld smartphones.Shuttered lobbies have forced members into drive-thru teller lines and onto digital channels like mobile apps and online banking. Also surging is the use of interactive teller machines and their successor, mobile apps that provide a live teller experience.Not on the forefront of this technological revolution? No worries, Pioneer FCU, Idaho Central, and Y-12 FCU offer best practices and lessons learned from their experience as early adopters.Each has a different strategy for video technology. Pioneer uses both a video mobile app and ITMs. Idaho Central does it all with the app and no ITMs. Y-12, on the other hand, is all ITMs. But all three have shared the common experience of a huge surge in contactless banking as the pandemic shut down their lobbies. Here, they share some of that experience. ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading »
“The coach was telling me, they were trying so hard there was so much going on and no one’s in office, so it took awhile to finalize it,” said DeSantis. DeSantis is staying ready for softball by hitting multiple times per week, playing casually with her teammates and playing on her travel softball team, which recently began. DeSantis missed out on her junior softball season, and said missing her senior season is a possibility that has crossed her mind. “It’s something you don’t see often, to have that many talented girls all in one group. So they challenge me to be better.” DeSantis announced her decision last night on Twitter. DeSantis said when she first visited Villanova last fall, it felt like home. She said she looked at a few other schools, but Villanova was her top choice. Through the unknowns of the year, DeSantis said knowing where she’ll be playing in college has been a huge relief. “I felt like this was going to be my year, I was so excited.I worked so hard for it and the whole year I just spent looking forward to softball.” DeSantis plays soccer and basketball in addition to softball, but knew she always wanted to play softball in college. She said she had been waiting to make the announcement, but the pandemic pushed things back. TOWN OF UNION (WBNG) — Maine-Endwell senior Amanda DeSantis will continue her softball career at Villanova University in 2021. “It’s just something that I’ve been so looking forward to. And I’ve always known I wanted to play college softball,” said DeSantis. “It still hasn’t sunk in. It’s just my dream school and I’m so excited.” Committed! pic.twitter.com/xsXKf8hws7— Amanda DeSantis (@adesantis34) July 22, 2020
Islamic Jihad fired a further volley of rockets and mortars from Gaza towards Israel Monday, following a flare-up between the group and the Jewish state that triggered school, road and train closures in southern Israel. Israel’s army said in a statement that 20 “projectiles” had been fired from the Palestinian enclave on Monday, 18 of them intercepted by its air defence systems.Israeli police images showed that at least one of the projectiles landed in an empty children’s playground. On Sunday, in response to Israel’s killing of a militant along the border, Islamic Jihad launched more than 20 rockets from Gaza into Israel. Israel’s military said it responded to the rockets with airstrikes targeting “terror sites” throughout Gaza as well as near the Syrian capital. The Damascus strike killed two Islamic Jihad fighters and four other Iran-backed militants allied to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a war monitor. Since the start of the Syrian conflict in 2011, Israel has carried out hundreds of strikes in Syria, mainly targeting government troops as well as allied Iranian forces and the Tehran-backed Lebanese group Hezbollah. Israel rarely confirms responsibility for such strikes, but did so on Sunday, describing the target as a base “used as a hub” for Islamic Jihad activities in Syria. – Schools, roads closed -Israel took a series of precautions amid the rocket fire from Gaza.The education ministry ordered 65,000 students in towns near Gaza to stay home, postponing exams at universities in Ashkelon, Sderot and Netivot. The transport ministry cancelled trains between Ashkelon and Beersheba, a major southern city roughly 50 kilometres (30 miles) from Gaza. The military said Zikim Beach on the Mediterranean Sea just north of Gaza had been closed to visitors. Sunday’s fighting was the most intense between Israel and Islamic Jihad since November, when an Israeli airstrike killed Rasmi Abu Malhous, described as a senior group commander. That strike also killed nine members of a Palestinian family unrelated to the armed group, and was followed by a three-day conflict that left 35 Palestinians dead and more than 100 wounded, according to official figures. There were no Israeli fatalities.Islamic Jihad is allied with Hamas, the Islamist group that has controlled Gaza since 2007.But it has not accepted the informal truce Hamas has agreed with Israel in exchange for an easing of the crippling blockade on Gaza. Hamas and Israel last fought a full-scale war in 2014, but smaller flare-ups are relatively common.- Bulldozed -The latest escalation with Islamic Jihad came after Israel’s military said Sunday it had killed a militant in Gaza who had tried to plant an explosive device near the border fence. Israel later confirmed that it extracted the militant’s body with a bulldozer. A video emerged later on social media, which was authenticated by AFP, showing a bulldozer approaching a body while a group of young, apparently unarmed men, were trying to retrieve it. The sound of gunfire is heard and the men ultimately run away as the bulldozer scoops up the body.Israel’s hawkish Defence Minister Naftali Bennett has pursued a policy of retaining the bodies of militants from Gaza as bargaining chips to pressure Hamas, which has held those of two Israeli soldiers since 2014.Palestinian prime minister Mohammed Shtayyeh, speaking before a weekly cabinet meeting, called the bulldozer incident “a heinous crime.””(Israel’s) occupation kills Palestinians in cold blood and with images that should shame humanity, and in violation of international law which Israel breaches day and night,” he said. Topics :
The suit also claims that Bottoms does not have the authority to move the city back to a “Phase 1″ state of lockdown reopening.”This lawsuit is on behalf of the Atlanta business owners and their hardworking employees who are struggling to survive during these difficult times,” Kemp tweeted. “I refuse to sit back and watch as disastrous policies threaten the lives and livelihoods of our citizens,” he said, claiming that Bottoms’s moves endanger Atlanta’s economy. “We will fight to stop these reckless actions and put people over pandemic politics.” The governor of Georgia sued officials in the US state’s largest city Thursday, seeking to block a mandate that would require Atlanta residents to wear face masks in public as part of efforts to stop the spread of the coronavirus. The lawsuit, filed by Republican governor Brian Kemp, alleges that Atlanta mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms does not have the authority to require stricter public health measures than the state, which has encouraged mask-wearing but not required it. “The City of Atlanta may only exercise powers granted to it by the state, and Mayor Bottoms’ attempts to exercise an undelegated power against the state are ultra vires” or not allowed, the suit says, asking a Fulton County judge to block the executive orders Bottoms issued last week. Bottoms, who herself has tested positive for the virus, hit back on Twitter, saying, “3104 Georgians have died and I and my family are amongst the 106k who have tested positive for COVID-19.”Meanwhile, I have been sued by @GovKemp for a mask mandate. A better use of tax payer money would be to expand testing and contact tracing,” she tweeted. Read also: ‘Wear a mask if you care’, task force says as WHO warns of aerosol transmissionBottoms has framed the disagreement as a public health policy dispute, while state authorities have said they are focused on the technicalities of their parallel mandates. “The State of Georgia continues to urge citizens to wear masks. This lawsuit is about the rule of law,” Georgia state attorney general Chris Carr tweeted Thursday evening. Public health officials have for months urged face coverings as a means to limit the outbreak, with studies highlighting that even cloth masks can reduce oral particle dispersion between 50 and 100 percent.States such as Alabama, California, Texas and Colorado have instituted state-wide mask mandates to try to curb surging infection rates. But mask requirements have led to friction in stores around the country, spawning numerous viral videos of irate customers clashing with retail employees. And US President Donald Trump has mostly declined to wear a mask in public, donning one for the first time last week. There have been more than 131,000 COVID-19 cases in Georgia, with 3,105 deaths — one of the worst-hit states in the US, itself the worst-hit country in the world. Topics :
The rush for low volatility assets is one of the most worrying areas of investment markets, according to panellists at IPE’s 360 conference.Speaking this morning in London, Bob Swarup, principal at Camdor Global Advisors, said investor appetite for low volatility strategies “worries me more than most things”.“Volatility consists of competing pools of emotions,” he said. “When volatility is extremely low, it means people are all facing the same way – it’s a huge herd mentality. That kind of structure is very hard to negotiate from a risk management point of view.”He added there was a danger of investors focusing too much on value-at-risk measurements at the expense of “cash flow at risk”. Ian McKnight, CIO of the UK’s Royal Mail Pension Plan, described low volatility equity strategies as a “pending disaster”.He said: “You see a lot of crowded trades in so-called low volatility. If everybody buys something because it’s low volatility, and it steadily goes up and stays low volatility, what happens next? Is it overpriced? Then when it sells off it becomes not low volatility any more.”Olivier Rousseau, executive director at French reserve fund FRR, highlighted Nordic equity markets as an example of an overbought low volatility area.He said: “Nordic markets are quality markets where political risk has been seen as very low, and rightly so, but these are low volatility markets full of low volatility stocks, and investors have loved them. Now, they are a dangerous asset class in my opinion.”However, the panellists agreed there were very few other asset classes offering real value. McKnight said Royal Mail had been selling down overvalued equities, but struggling to find opportunities in areas such as credit or high yield.“You’ve got to look around for idiosyncratic opportunities depending on how illiquid you want to be,” the CIO said.Rousseau said assets were in general very expensive, but euro-zone equities provided one window of opportunity.“Some of the risks seen on the political side are clearly receding,” Rousseau said. “The reasonable gamble we make on euro-zone equities is simply that growth has been disappointing, and euro-zone companies have substantial operational gearing. If growth comes back to normal levels, it would have a very significant impact on company profitability. I don’t want to say it’s the buy of the century, but it seems quite reasonable to us.”
Frances Ruth Nobbe, age 79, of Batesville, Indiana passed away Monday, October 23, 2017 at home. The daughter of Jerome and Frances (Hoffman) Jonas, was born on July 13, 1938 in Brookville, Indiana.The 1956 Brookville High School graduate married Roman J. Nobbe on October 26, 1957 in Brookville. Ruth was a member of the Holy Family Catholic Church and the Daughters of the American Revolution. She also served as President of Franklin County Child Welfare Board for many years.Ruth and her husband, Roman both owned and operated their family business, Roman Nobbe Inc for over 35 years. She spent much of her time working in the business until she retired in 1997.Ruth and Roman loved to polka dance, they won several trophies over the years competing. She was really into genealogy and has been said to have more books than a public library. She was an avid doll collector too, with hundreds of beautifully dressed dolls. Ruth also held a special place in her heart for kids, always wanting to help children. Kinder Platz was started in part because she wanted all little girls to have ruffled, frilly dresses and accessibility to good clothes. Ruth truly loved her family and cherished her grandchildren and great grandchildren.She will be dearly missed by her husband, Roman, son Roman ‘Bucky’ (Jeanna) Nobbe of Oldenburg, IN daughters, Karen (Mike) Knueven of Sunman, IN and Tammy (Chris) Forthofer of Batesville; 9 grandchildren, Roman A. (Sarah) Nobbe, Brad Nobbe, Jason Knueven, Kristine (Dan) Aldulescu, Amanda (Jeremy) Reed, Eric Forthofer, Nicole (Danny) Wilds, Anthony Forthofer; 2 great grandchildren, Leigha & Liam Reed; three sisters, Alice Thielking (the late Carl), Sue Ward (Ken), Ellen Davis (Don) and brother, Charles Jonas (Sharon).In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her grandson Joshua Nobbe.Visitation will be Friday 4-8 PM at Meyers Funeral Home in Batesville with Rosary starting at 3:40 PM. Mass of Christian Burial 10:00 AM on Saturday, October 28, 2017 at Holy Family Catholic Church in Oldenburg, IN. Rev. Carl Langenderfer officiating. Burial to follow in the Holy Family Catholic Cemetery.Memorials may be given to the Edelweiss House, benefiting children or Batesville EMS c/o the funeral home. Online condolences www.meyersfuneralhomes.com.
Sellersburg, In. — Indiana State Police Superintendent Douglas Carter recognized two Sellersburg troopers for their dedicated service to the department and the state of Indiana, careers spanning more than 30 years. Sergeant John Cleveland and Corporal Stephen Didat were both recognized and presented with a certificate of service recognition by district lieutenant Chris Keeton on behalf of the Superintendent at a ceremony held at the Sellersburg post.Sgt. John Cleveland was recognized for 35 years of service. Sgt. Cleveland is a native of Clark County Indiana and is a 1973 graduate of Jeffersonville High School. John attended Indiana University before becoming a police officer for the Indiana University Police Department and later the Monroe County Sheriff’s Department. Sgt. Cleveland graduated from the 41st Indiana State Police Recruit Academy in 1984 and was assigned initially to the Pendleton Post where he was quickly assigned to special investigations, working as an undercover officer. Sgt. Cleveland transferred and worked in the Bloomington district from 1987 to 1996 and was then assigned to the department’s Problem Oriented Policing Unit where he worked until 2000. John Cleveland transferred to the Sellersburg district in 2000 where he continues to work. He was promoted to serve as a district squad sergeant in 2008. During his career with the state police, John has worn many hats including firearms instructor, SCUBA team member, Tactical Intervention team-member, and Field Training Officer. John currently resides in Madison, Indiana.Corporal Stephen Didat was recognized for 30 years of service. Stephen Didat is a life-long resident of Floyd County, Indiana, and a 1976 graduate of Floyd Central High School. Stephen attended Indiana University Southeast before graduating from the 46th Indiana State Police recruit academy in 1988. Upon graduation, Cpl. Didat was assigned to the Sellersburg district where he has worked his entire career. While on the department, Stephen Didat has served as a state certified firearms instructor, emergency vehicle operations instructor, and speed timing device instructor as well as a field training officer and member of the tactical intervention platoon. Stephen was assigned to the Problem Oriented Policing Unit from 1996 to 2004 when he was promoted to Corporal. Stephen continues to serve as the Sellersburg post corporal and resides in Floyds Knobs with Louisa, his wife of 28 years.
Press Association The Belfast side travelled across the Irish Sea last night – their first trip to Glasgow’s south side – after having stepped in to host a fundraising match last May when the former Scottish champions found themselves mired in a financial crisis that eventually led to their liquidation. Now reformed but playing in the Irn-Bru Third Division, Rangers proved too strong for the Northern Irishmen as they secured victory with goals from Chris Hegarty and youngster Andrew Murdoch. Light Blues boss Ally McCoist paid his part-time visitors full respect by putting out a strong starting line-up, but Rangers struggled to get out of first gear in the early stages, mustering only an Ian Black drive on the half-hour mark before surviving a scare as Matthew Tipton pulled a decent chance wide. It took until three minutes before the half-time break for the hosts to net as Hegarty found the corner of the goal from Fraser Aird’s deep cross. The second half was interrupted by a raft of substitutions. Linfield captain Peter Thompson did have the ball in the net after 65 minutes only to see his big moment ruined by an offside flag. However, Rangers wrapped it up with the last kick of the game as midfielder Murdoch’s deflected 25-yard drive deceived Alan Blayney and found its way home. Rangers repaid Linfield for helping out in their hour of need by handing them a narrow 2-0 friendly defeat at Ibrox.
With six minutes remaining of the 1-1 draw, Albion winger James McClean was booked for a foul on Spurs midfielder Mousa Dembele. An on-field flash point ensued and referee Jonathan Moss was harangued by both sets of players, leading the FA to charge the clubs on Wednesday. Press Association West Brom and Tottenham have been charged by the Football Association after a flare-up towards the end of Saturday’s draw at the Hawthorns. “West Bromwich Albion and Tottenham Hotspur have both been charged for failing to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion,” a statement from the FA read. “The charge relates to an incident which occurred in or around the 84th minute of their fixture on Saturday 5 December 2015.” West Brom and Tottenham have until 6pm on Friday to respond to the charge.